Nov 3, 2020
Dr. Gottfredson is a leadership
professor at California State University, Fullerton. He earned his
doctorate in Organizational Behavior and Human
He notes that most people think
in terms of what leaders need to DO. And that we need to be more
focused on what leaders need to BE.
- Horizontal Development is broadening skills vs.
Vertical Development is gaining altitude and perspective (which may
or may not come through maturity)
neural connections help us
- Filter Information
- Interpret Information
- Activate a Behavioral Response based on the
information that we’ve interpreted
- Failure can be interpreted in two different
a fixed mindset, it’s personal and we’ll want to
avoid similar challenges
a growth mindset, it’s external and seen as an opportunity
- Mindset Types:
- Closed vs. Open (to suggestions of
- Prevention vs. Promotion = the difference
between Not Losing vs. Winning
- Inward vs. Outward which is about comparing
yourself to others vs. lifting others
RyanGottfredson.com for a free
Success Mindsets assessment.
Thank you for listening to One
Sharp Sword! Be sure to also check out Wednesdays With Wayne
for quick, fun, and inspirational mid-week reading.